Total Pageviews

February 06, 2013

Commissioned Artwork

Tree in Oil, 2013  86" x 42" by Callie Hirsch


Working on a commissioned piece is never easy, but getting paid for your art makes it totally worthwhile.  Not only do I build the canvas to suit the size the client wants, I also deliver and hang the artwork.  This is a full service commission and well worth the effort.  In the end we are all happy and I can go home thinking that I did a good job.

To start, I invite the potential buyer/s over to my studio.  There they can view my current projects and get an idea of what it is they would like to live with.  Later I will visit them and analyze the colors I am working with, such as painted walls, and the couch color, where the painting will reside over.  After we agree on a size, I get to work.  I purchase the canvas and the stretchers to the size decided upon.  I paint the background to the piece on the floor.  It is more of a paint rubbing and the floor is a strong support, to build the sky.  I let that dry and then stretch the canvas on stretchers to finish the piece.

During the painting process, I send the buyer updated photos to make sure I am going in a direction they like.  About 75% completed, I will have the buyer over to see the colors in person and make sure that we are still heading in a good direction.  Upon completion, and if agreed upon, I deliver the piece for final inspection.  At that point it is hung, so that it does not sit in a corner for weeks until someone has enough energy to go through the efforts.  And we are done, the painting is transforming the room, and warmth and color bring the joy of a check in hand.

I then create a purchase receipt with a photo of the painting included and send that off to the buyer as proof of sale and artist. That completed, I also now have a copy for my taxes and art records of sales.

No comments: